Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: BI-AMP ALTEC 19'S ?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member BRAD OURSO's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 13th, 2003
    Posts
    19
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Has anyone ever bi-amped model 19's, and if so what type of crossover is best?
    Also, what kind of sound improvements may be expected?
    I own a pair now with the original crossovers and have been thinking of bi-amping......just wondering if it is worth it?

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Jim Easley's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    84
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Brad,
    I have bi-amped the Model Nineteen and it is worth it. Many any of the recent 24 bit DSP based speaker system controllers are perfect for the application. You can expect much better dynamics and much more user control.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member boltupright's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2003
    Posts
    179
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Brad; I'm in the same boat as you,I just bought a pair of Quad II power amps & I'm planning to use them for the horns & I want to use solid state for the 15" drivers.A friend lent me an old Pioneer 3 way crossover that I need to figure out how to use it 2 way. I'll post more after I get it working.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Altec19's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 21st, 2003
    Posts
    306
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Greetings All,

    Here are some comments from Todd W. White, the esteemed owner of this board, made in an earlier posting:

    When I was an Altec contractor, we used to build Model 19 reproductions after Altec quit building them.
    The crossovers, as are all GOOD ones, are designed specifically for the Model 19, and do NOT sound "right" when used on other speaker systems. Not only do they "cross" the sound "over", they also provide important equalization for the speaker, based upon it's performance characteristics, as measured anechoically.

    Electronic bi-amplification doesn't always work, either, because it is often more work than it is worth to keep tweaking the electronics when you can just use the original design.

    http://www.hostboard.com/cgi-bin/ult...c&f=3729&t=526

    Later . . .

  5. #5
    Inactive Member thevott's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 11th, 2003
    Posts
    91
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have have not tryed bi-amping my Model Nineteens but I do bi-amp other Altec systems. I am so happy with bi-amplification---its flexibility and other advantages---that I find passive networks to be somewhat obsolete, though it does allow for a self contained passive system. The Model 19 is clearly an excellent speaker system with a properly tailored network but will surely sound good and rock the house down either way you run it.
    thevott

  6. #6
    Inactive Member boltupright's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2003
    Posts
    179
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    HEY.... perhaps there is something to what Todd says about bi-amping 19's I figured out how to use the crossover but to my dismay,the closest to the 1200 point I can get is 1000 herts it sounds good but not great.Would 200 herts make that much difference? The definition is better but it lacks the snare drum sweetness that the standard crossovers provide.Should I get the active crossover modified to cross over at 1200 or should I just leave well enough alone.The Quad II tube mono blocks sound incredible but the bass isn't defined & I like to play a little loud.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member boltupright's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2003
    Posts
    179
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I got the crossovers working better & now am happy with the sound of my 19's bi-amped!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.